10 Lies You've Been Told And Why You Should Avoid The Gym


Do you feel like you don't have enough time in the day? If so, avoid the gym!
I use to wake up at 5:30am, roll (literally) out of bed, put on my clothes and drive to the gym. Getting there would took me 15 minutes. Still being tired, my workout would be sub par and I felt lazy. It was something I didn't want to do at the time. I wasn't motivated. It then took me 15 minutes to get home.
By the time I got ready for the gym, drove to the gym, got home from the gym and undressed from the gym I was pushing 60 minutes.
And the crazy part is, this doesn't even include my workout time!
Regardless if you're a morning person or not, our time is valuable. I could have spent those 60 minutes doing a number of other things. Should I dare list them?
Here are 10 "tips" I've been told over the years but quickly realized they were lies:
1) You need a gym membership to get in shape - FALSE
2) You must do a minimum of 2 hours of cardio a week - FALSE
3) Take a fat loss supplement like Hydroxycut - FALSE
4) Don't eat fatty foods - FALSE
5) Working out early in the morning because it burns more calories - FALSE
6) The more you workout, the healthier you'll be - FALSE
7) Go to the gym to socialize... wait, what?!?! - FALSE
8) Do certain exercises to target fat deposits - FALSE
9) You can't get a good workout without machines or free weights - FALSE
10) A home workout routine is a lazy workout routine - FALSE
I've learned many things that you don't need or can live without, such as the gym. Although I'm not against the gym entirely, I think being efficient with our time is much more of a priority.
Money comes and goes, but your time is lost forever.
Over the past decade I've also learned that to adopt a fitness lifestyle you need these few things:
  • Determination to reach your fitness goals.
  • Focus on whats important in your life.
  • Passion for the things you do.
  • Willingness to better yourself.
  • Drive to complete what you set out to achieve.
  • Plan to know where you're going and how to get there.
  • Efficiency in everything you do.
Don't fall for the salesmen trying to lock you into a year-long gym membership, or the supplement commercial promising miracles.
Becoming fit takes time. Leverage your time to maximize your efficiency and sanity, you'll be MUCH better off.
Why you should avoid the gym
Time is the primary reason you should cancel your gym membership. I wasted many hours getting to and from the gym, and way to many hours in the gym.
If you don't have the time, then the gym isn't right for you. You can become just as fit by doing thousands of other things.
By using a few simple tools you can have the best workout in your garage, or even at the park next door.
The key is to have fun and get fit. Who wants to always be stuck on a stationary workout machine that's boring and no fun? Not me! I like functional fitness that I can easily apply to my life and have fun doing it at the same time.
Don't just leave the gym, plan first
You have to have a plan before you quit something your familiar with.
Are you going to walk around the neighborhood 2 more days a week or are you going to do a workout twice a week in the garage? Maybe both?
By having a plan you'll commit yourself to avoiding the gym and schedule fun in your life. Run stairs at the high school, do an outdoor push up routine while your dog plays in the park, or just do a workout routine in your garage.
Have a plan, don't go to the gym and benefit from having more time.
I've gone to the gym for most of my adult life and banned it about 2 years ago. I've worked with personal trainers and have been a personal trainer myself. Although the gym has many tools to take athletes to the next level, I've learned it isn't right for time strapped entrepreneurs such as yourself. The best workout you can get is when your outdoors.There's just something about the fresh air after a day in the office. Better yet you'll avoid dancing around people in hopes to get the "next machine" at the gym.
The best part is, you'll have more time.
Visit Nate Anglin Dot Com for more articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment